Amazon Echo is a smart speaker that has a variety of features to it besides just playing music. The neat thing is you can speak commands to the device in order for it to perform certain functions. These commands go through the Alexa platform that is built into the system. Below are the top 10 commands for the Amazon Echo and the functions that go along with them.
1) Alarm Control – If you want to set an alarm or timer through the device, you could say something like “Alexa, set an alarm for 8 A.M.” or “Alexa, set a timer for 60 minutes.” A sound will go off once it reaches that time.
2) Purchasing Items – You can purchase items on Amazon through the device that you’ve purchased before. So, if you previously purchased deodorant through Amazon, you could give the command, “Alexa, order more deodorant” and it will automatically submit another order for the same deodorant you purchased before.
3) Wine Sommelier – Wine drinkers will love this feature of Amazon Echo. If you download MySomm for the device, you can have it recommend a wine for you to drink with whatever you’re eating. Say something like “Alexa, ask Wine Gal to recommend a wine for pizza.” It’ll then recommend which wines you should purchase.
4) Control the Kitchen – Anyone who cooks in the kitchen may want to try out a new recipe that they haven’t used before. All you have to do is give the command, “Alexa, ask Trending Recipes for a recent recipe” and you’ll be given a new recipe suggestion.
5) Board Game Rules – With the help of Board Game Answers, Amazon Echo can help guide players on the rules of a particular board game like Monopoly. You could give the command, “Alexa, ask board games how much money everyone starts with in Monopoly,” in case people are confused about that.
6) Locate Phone – People are always losing their phone. Have Amazon Echo call your phone so it will ring and help you find it. Just give the command, “Alexa, ask Where’s My Phone to find my phone.”
7) Silence – Is Amazon Echo making too much noise or talking too much? You could simply say “Alexa, Shut Up!” and it will go into silence mode.
8) Play Music – If you want Amazon Echo to play some background music while you’re working or relaxing, say “Alexa, play some music.” If you know the name of the song you want, say “Alexa, play ‘song title here.’”
9) To-Do List – If you want Amazon Echo to remind you of things that you have to do, make a to-do list by saying “Alexa, create a to-do.” It will then guide you towards adding items to the list.
10) Check News – Want to know what’s happening in the world? Just give the command “Alexa, what’s the news?” or “Alexa, what’s the weather like?”